Here’s the top 6 doggie dangers at Christmas as polled by the vets at Vetchat.
1. Human food that’s toxic to dogs
Chocolate, plum pudding, Christmas cake, stuffing for meats, fruit platters just to name a few. These common foods have ingredients in them that are toxic to dogs and must not be eaten. These include chocolate, sultanas, raisins, grapes, onions, garlic, macadamia nuts.
This is a no-brainer, but there is NO safe amount of alcohol for your dog to have. Effects range from depression, difficulty walking, slow breathing, collapse and even loss of life.
We all love to treat our fur kids and we at Vetchat are no different! Just know that ‘a little’ to us, is actually a lot to them, and eating too much of something they are not use to or that is rich and high in fat is a really common cause of health issues.
Overindulgence can trigger gut pain, vomiting, diarrhoea and even pancreatitis (which can be deadly).
You need to take control here on behalf of your pooch, because really, will they ever say no?!!!
Parties, fireworks and summer storms, it’s no wonder this is a hard time of year for dogs who have a propensity to be anxious.
Nobody knows your pet better than you do. Always observe your mate closely and look for the subtle signs that they are unhappy or worried, and take action.
Avoid the stress where possible, and make sure they always have access to a quiet, safe retreat. Some pets will need medication prescribed by their local bricks and mortar clinics to get through this time unscathed.
5. Christmas tree
Just to name a few…
- tummy upsets after drinking stagnant Christmas tree water (breeding ground for bacteria)
- electrocution when chewing at the christmas tree lights
- injury from eating glass ornaments
- tummy obstruction from eating tinsel and other decorations
- gut irritation (not toxicity) from eating pine tree needles
So, make this dog danger, dog safe with the following measures:
- cover or box around the tree stand so that they can’t drink the water
- plastic cover around the electric cord of the lights
- avoid glass decorations (keep to plastic or non-breakable)
- make sure decorations are secure and can’t fall or be easily pulled off
- place tinsel up high where it can’t be reached (or none!)
- keep the tree stable so it won’t be easily pushed over
Swallowed batteries can cause life threatening illness in dogs. They are a common addition to Christmas stocking fillers and presents under the tree, so together with the inquisitive nature of our pets, be mindful they are kept well out of reach of your pooch.
Your first place to go for vet advice. Because a quick chat can save a lot. Go to https://www.vetchat.com.au/book