Ask Dr Claire
1 year old Pomeranian has been spewing on and off all day. The spewing has stopped this evening, however the skin around one of his eyes has become very swollen and seems to be getting worse. I am quite concerned.
Vomiting is really just a symptom and can be the result of many underlying causes. In this case, we really need to find the cause of the vomiting so that we can treat your dog’s problem (not just the symptom). This will help us reach the best treatment plan too.
Some of the underlying causes of vomiting might be:
- Infectious disease (bacteria, viruses, parasites)
- Gut problems (inflammatory bowel disease, tumours, obstructions, food intolerance or food allergies)
- Abdominal or metabolic problems (kidney, liver, pancreatitis, spleen, electrolyte abnormalities, diabetes)
- Direct irritation of the stomach
- A reaction to toxins or other drugs
- Dietary indiscretion
A hands-on examination from your local vet would be a great place to start.
The swollen eye is also concerning and if this is bothering him, or getting larger, you really are best to see your local vet ASAP tonight.
If you’d like to chat in person, you can get a vet on a live video call or start a chat to discuss in more detail now.
We’re here to help!