Ask Dr Claire

My dog ate cycad palm, should i take them straight to a vet?

Cycad palms are considered toxic, the entire plant is toxic, with most toxin concentrated in the seeds. 

There is no antidote, so treatment is supportive and it depends on what symptoms your dog is having.

Even without symptoms I would like you to go straight to the nearest vet – they may look at inducing vomit to rid the toxic material.

If you’d like to chat in person, you can get a vet on a live video call or start a chat to discuss in more detail (but I don’t want you to delay getting to a bricks and mortar vet)

Let me know how you get on, 

We’re here to help!

Chat soon, 

Dr Claire

Related Articles