Ask Dr Claire

My dog ate dark chocolate

Chocolate is toxic to dogs. 

It depends on the  type of chocolate and the amount that was eaten, as well as the size of the dog. A milk chocolate bar might be ok in a full grown Labrador, but not for example for a Chihuahua.
Dark and cooking chocolate are the most dangerous, followed by milk and then white. As little as 20g of cooking chocolate can cause upset for a 10kg dog.

Common symptoms of an chocolate consumption include:

  • Vomiting
  • Tummy pain
  • Hyperactivity or agitation
Potentially progressing to:
  • Tremors
  • Seizures
  • Abnormal heart rhythms
  • Death

If your dog has eaten dark chocolate you should speak to a vet immediately to find out appropriate next steps. The sooner treatment and supportive care can be started the better the outcome for your best friend.

If you’d like to chat in person, you can get a vet on a live video call or start a chat to discuss in more detail now.

We’re here to help!

Chat soon,

Dr Claire

in Toxins Tags: dark chocolateDog

vets online now