Ask Dr Claire
My dog ate plastic
Any foreign object has the potential to be dangerous when eaten.
Obviously it depends on the size of the object in comparison to your dog, so a small piece of plastic might be okay to be passed by a full grown Labrador, but not for example a Chihuahua.
While some objects go straight in one end and out the other, there’s also a chance of them getting stuck in the intestines and forming a blockage along the way.
This is called an obstruction of the gut and is really serious (can be life-threatening) if left untreated.
Common symptoms of an obstruction include:
– Reduced or no appetite,
– Diarrhoea, and
– Weight loss.
If you notice any of the above, or the size of the plastic is concerning please head straight to your local vet for a hands-on assessment.
Abdominal imaging (such as radiography and ultrasound) is often used to assess where the object is and whether it’s passing through.
If you’d like to chat in person, you can get a vet on a live video call or start a chat to discuss in more detail now.
We’re here to help!