Ask Dr Claire

My 1yr old Norwich terrier yesterday swallowed a screwed up piece of tegaderm bandage. She seems ok. How likely is it to go through normally?

Any foreign object has the potential to be dangerous when eaten. Obviously it depends on the size of the object in comparison to your dog, so in this case the size of the bandage compared to the size of your Norwich terrier.

While some objects go straight in one end and out the other, there’s also a chance of them getting stuck in the intestines and forming a blockage along the way. This is called an obstruction of the gut and is really serious (can be life-threatening) if left untreated.

Common symptoms of an obstruction include:

  • Vomiting,
  • Reduced or no appetite,
  • Weakness,
  • Diarrhoea, and
  • Weight loss.

If you notice any of the above, please head straight to your local vet for a hands-on assessment. Abdominal imaging (such as radiography and ultrasound) is often used to assess where the object is and whether it’s passing through.

Depending on what and when something was swallowed it may be best for your vet to cause your dog to vomit it up, prior to it getting stuck.

If you’d like to chat in person, you can book a live video call or start a chat to discuss in more detail, as soon as possible.

We’re here to help!

Chat soon,

Dr Claire

Related Articles