Ask Dr Claire

My dog just ate a glass marble but is happy as usual, should I be worried?

A glass marble does have the potential to be dangerous when eaten.

The size of your dog, and the size of the object eaten dictates whether the object will become lodged in their intestines, forming a blockage – or whether it will pass through (they can also be vomited up).

When something gets lodged in the gut, dogs get very sick and if left untreated it is sadly, life threatening.

In general, symptoms to watch for which may indicate an obstruction are:

*Vomiting,
*Reduced or no appetite,
*Weakness,
*Diarrhoea and
*Weight loss.

It’s best to head straight to your local bricks and mortar vet for a hands-on assessment. Abdominal imaging (such as radiography and ultrasound) is often used in these cases to assess for where the object is and whether it’s passing through.

Waiting to monitor for signs on an obstruction is not a good plan, as by the time clinical signs are present, the object can already have caused significant damage to the surrounding intestine making for a more difficult and dangerous surgical extraction.

If you’d like to chat in person, you can book a live video call or start a chat to discuss in more detail, as soon as possible.

We’re here to help!

Chat soon,
Dr Claire

in DogsHealth Tags: marble

Related Articles