Ask Dr Claire

My pug just ate the paper that soaks up the juice in the raw lamb meat about 1 hour ago. Should we be worried?

Any foreign object has the potential to be dangerous when eaten. Obviously it depends on the size of the object in comparison to your dog, and if the absorbent paper for the meat is the plastic type stuff from the supermarket, I would be worried this is a possible source of a problem for a pug.

While some objects go straight in one end and out the other, there’s also a chance of them getting stuck in the intestines an forming a blockage along the way. This is called an obstruction of the gut and is really serious (can be life-threatening) if left untreated.

Common symptoms of an obstruction include:
– Vomiting,
– Reduced or no appetite,
– Weakness,
– Diarrhoea, and
– Weight loss.

As it’s only recent that your pug ate it I would lean on the side of caution and advise a trip to the local vet for a hands-on assessment, (or emergency vet if they’re not open) with a description of what was ingested as possibly the safest thing to do is make your pug vomit the plastic paper.

Abdominal imaging (such as radiography and ultrasound) is often used to assess where the object is and whether its passing through.

There is also the possibility of infection from the raw meat juice if it was spoiled.

If you’d like to chat in person, you can book a live video call or start a chat to discuss in more detail, as soon as possible.

We’re here to help!

Chat soon,
Dr Claire

Related Articles

vets online now