Sep 11
cat next to lilies

Are lilies toxic to cats?

Lilies are beautiful, but highly toxic. In fact, they are so toxic to cats that eating the smallest amount will cause their kidneys to fail, and even with intensive therapy, many cats die.

All parts of the plant including the pollen are considered toxic and younger cats seem more susceptible because they are more likely to mouth and chew at plants.

Signs of lily toxicity are seen within several hours of eating the plant and include:

  • depression
  • loss of appetite
  • vomiting (you may see some of the plant in this)

Later signs are due to kidney damage and include:

  • reduced or no pee being produced
  • dehydration
  • sadly, death

If you even suspect your cat may have ingested lilies you need to take them to the veterinarian immediately, because starting treatment as early as possible is vital to your cat’s chance of survival.

Prevention is key – keeping Lilies in the home when you have a kitty is playing Russian roulette with their lives- don’t do it!

Politely decline all lilies as gifts and make sure there are none in your backyard.

If  you’d like to chat in person, you can get a vet on a live video call or start a chat to discuss in more detail now.