Sep 14
pug rolling in the grass

Is fertiliser toxic to cats or dogs?

Fertilisers are toxic to both cats and dogs, however dogs are mainly affected due to their scavenging nature.

 

Fertilisers generally contain nitrogen, phosphorous and potassium and vary in the additives, which include agents to kill plants, insects and fungi.

Signs seen after ingestion depend on the type of fertiliser (its additives), the concentration and the amount eaten. For example, eating a small amount on the grass is less of a problem than eating right out of the bag.

Signs include:

  • vomiting
  • diarrhoea
  • salivation
  • lethargy
  • stomach pain

It’s best to keep your fur kids inside or away from the area whilst using fertilisers right up until the time they’re absorbed into the soil. Always apply to the lawn carefully as per instructions on the bag.

If you suspect your mate has ingested fertiliser contact a veterinarian as soon as possible so you can get the best advice about what to do next.

Next post will be continuing on our household toxin series.

Go to www.vetchat.com.au and ask dr claire a question (it’s free)