Sep 22
dog looking sad & unwell

Is it ok to feed my dog grapes or sultanas?

Grapes, sultanas and raisins (which are just forms of dried grapes) are toxic to dogs.

 

What’s in them, as well as the amount eaten which will cause the toxicity, is unknown. It varies between individuals and only a few sultanas may cause a toxic reaction in some dogs, whereas larger amounts are eaten before signs of toxicity in other dogs.

The common scenario is a toddler dropping sultanas on the floor (purposefully or not!) allowing their opportunistic counterpart to take full advantage or simply leaving these foods unattended in the home where a little scavenger is only too happy to oblige.

The toxin in grapes, sultanas and raisins acts on your fur kids kidney and reduces its ability to work. You may not even see any signs of toxicity for 1-2 days.

Signs include:

    • vomiting
    • diarrhoea
    • lethargy
    • depression
    • increased drinking
    • decreased, or increased peeing

Treatment of the kidney disease is difficult and not always successful. For this reason and the fact that we don’t know how much of the grapes, sultanas or raisins will cause a reaction in each pet its always best to see the vet ASAP regardless of the amount consumed.

As always with toxins prevention is key – when grapes are being prepared or served, or when toddlers are eating sultanas you need keep your pet away- have them safely confined and only let them back to the food area when all potential toxins are packed away.

This is one situation where your buddy can’t be a vacuum cleaner!

Cautionary note:

There are so many other food toxins in the home; the following is not an exhaustive list but the ones more commonly encountered.

More ‘human’ food NOT to give to dogs:

Next post will be continuing on our household toxin series.

Go to www.vetchat.com.au and ask dr.claire a question for free now!