Mar 23
poisonous mushroom

Mushroom Poisoning in Dogs

Mushrooms can make your dog really sick when they are eaten, and even cause the loss of your beloved pet.

There are many species of mushrooms, and many of these are toxic (many are not), but the problem is that there is actually no proven way to easily work out from home if the mushroom growing in your yard is toxic, or not.

Basically, in any place that a mushroom can grow, there’s a chance for toxic ones to exist.

What can happen if a toxic mushroom is eaten?

This depends on the type of mushroom and the amount that is eaten. Signs can happen anywhere from 2-24 hours of eating one. Signs include:

Vomiting and/or diarrhoea: this can lead to dehydration and electrolyte imbalances in your dog requiring treatment. This is what we most commonly see.
Liver failure: some species of mushrooms cause even more severe signs due to direct damage of the liver and lead to vomiting, pain, yellowing of the whites of the eyes, the gums and skin due to a liver that isn’t working properly, and sadly, can result in the loss of their life.

How can I protect my dog from toxic mushrooms?

As the golden rule goes, prevention is far better than cure. Treat all mushrooms that you see as potentially toxic and don’t let them eat any! Two ways to do this:

  1. monitor the growth of mushrooms and remove any from your yard immediately.
  2. restrain your mate when walking in areas mushrooms grow to reduce the risk that one gets eaten.

What happens if I suspect my dog has eaten a mushroom?

Don’t delay, head straight to your local veterinarian for immediate management. Take the mushroom with you if handy- it may need to be sent off for analysis.


Take the worry out of pet care with fast, affordable expert advice for pets. Go to https://www.vetchat.com.au/book today.