Aug 12
dog eating chocolate

My dog just ate my chocolate stash, what should i do?

Chocolate is toxic to dogs and unfortunately dogs simply love it. Any opportunity where chocolate is left around and is reachable, chances are it will be gobbled straight up.

It’s the theobromine and caffeine in chocolate that is toxic to dogs, the amount present depends on the type of chocolate that’s eaten. It’s highest in dark or cooking chocolate, less in milk and white has negligible amounts. As little as 20g of cooking chocolate can cause upset for a 10kg dog.

Common symptoms of chocolate toxicity include:

• Vomiting

• Tummy pain

• Hyperactivity or aggitation

Potentially progressing to:

• Tremors

• Seizures

• Abnormal heart rhythms

• Sadly, even death

If your dog has just eaten chocolate you speak to a vet as soon as possible ready to describe the type and amount of chocolate eaten.

When it comes to eating a toxic amount, the sooner treatment and supportive care can be started the better the outcome for your best friend.

If you’d like to chat in person, you can get a vet on a live video call or start a chat to discuss in more detail.

1 Comment

  1. Is it ok to feed my dog grapes or sultanas? | Vetchat
    June 28, 2018 at 11:35 am AEST ·

    […] chocolate – more here.  https://www.vetchat.com.au/my-dog-just-ate-my-chocolate-stash […]